Saturday, June 9, 2007

the good, the bad, and the beautiful

This week's been tough. Par example: during Bible study on Tuesday one of the youth was about to throw a rock at another boy. After being told not to throw rocks he turned and whipped it at my face. It hit me right above my left eye. Things like this make me very frustrated- for reasons more than a cut eye and a headache. It's tough to serve and love kids when they try everything not to let you.
This week's been great. To explain: Moses invited me to lunch as his guest during employee appreciation day at Yakama Forest Products, where he works. We chowed on salmon, elk, and other less traditional munchies. He introduced me to some of his friends and relatives. For once, I really felt like I was accepted. I had been welcomed before, but Moses showed me his appreciation for being here and for helping him. So great.
Moreover, this weekend was Treaty Days- kind of like our Independence Day, only the opposite. (no, it doesn't make sense.) I went to the All Indian Rodeo and the Pow-wow the past two days. It was exciting to see the best of Native America- its tradition, its pride, its beauty- with none of the distractions. My favorite thus far. Later.

5 comments:

Paul Norman said...

"The harvest is plenty, but the workers are few." Keep trucking Mike, turn the other forehead, and be encouraged in the prayers of your brothers and sisters.

Beth Fearnow said...

Hey from Memphis!!

It is good to read about your activities and certainly helps us to know how we can pray for you. Glad you had some fun stuff this week to outweigh the hard stuff. We will keep praying for good relationships with the people there!

Scoot56er said...

Mshaw,
That is why you are out there and I am not because I would killed that little punk. It's hard to love kids like that but remember that without kids like that there wouldn't be a need for ministry. I'm praying for all of you guys!.

BrianFromWA said...

Mike,
That's why I spent much of the time playing with the girls - jump-roping, bubble-blowing and necklace-making don't generally get you a rock in the face. However, picking up some unknown sickness from a toddler, having girls laugh at a boy making a necklace -- I guess some things aren't that different on the outside.

I'm glad you have this set up...I'll keep popping back in (although it seems Lisa Beth is sad that you get more hits than she does, so I'll throw here a bone more often than not).

Prayer and work, Brian

chuck said...

This i so cool Michael. Now I have a new favorite site.

Chuck Clevenger