Friday, June 1, 2007

Getting Going

The other interns have arrived, and we are all staying at the McKinley Mission, which is an old Indian Mission just outside of a town called Wapato. This week was orientation week for them (and me) but it is time for me to really get crackin' on my research. I am quickly approaching the one quarter mark of my time here and have much to do.
This week I interviewed Wendell, who is an elder in the Yakama Nation. He is a gracious man and more than willing to teach me about Yakama culture and life on the rez. I have attached a picture of him to the right.
I have also had the opportunity to talk more with Chris and Mary Granberry of Sacred Road and learn more about this ministry's vision and purpose. It is always encouraging to see their passion and love for these people made evident in even the most casual of conversations. I have learned a lot about what life out here is like for them, and take joy in sharing in their triumphs and stuggles.
Finally, please pray that I would overcome a mysterious flu-like illness that I, and a few others here, have caught and can regain my strength. Later.

No comments: