Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Miş Na Mişa (what's up)

I've been getting to know Moses more and more. I interviewed him about his life and native culture last Saturday (at a Mexican restaurant). I took him to the welfare office today to see if he could keep his benefits, but he's making too much money at the lumber yard. Stinks. He looks like an intimidating guy but is rather meek once you get to know him.
I took a bike ride with a little Latina girl yesterday. Her name is Marisol. She told me about her brother and how he was killed by a drunk driver. It was sad to hear, but her story is not unlike many people's here.
This evening was Bible Study; Paul and Lisa, the other interns, and I have assumed the role of youth directors over the middle school and high school age kids. They're a rough bunch. Most kids out here (almost all) suffer from Fetal Alcohol Syndrome. This makes them easy irritated, easily distracted, and hard to read. Every day is a battle to grab there attention for two minutes. The younger kids aren't any better. Its hard to be a friend when you're getting spit on and cussed at...by a six year old. Its hard not to feel defeated when the day is over- but I remind myself that the battle is already won.
The stories I hear from people out here way heavy on my heart- adolescent girls who are raped nightly, pregnant women who are beaten, young children who are neglected. It's draining to be here, but that's Native America. out.

2 comments:

Kerrin said...

Mike, I am praying for you guys to continue to be a light and remember who the Victor is. Take care of "my kids" and I will see you in a couple of weeks!

chuck said...

Michael,

We prayed for you in our small group yesterday after reading about your episode with the rock. I wasn't sure if it would help you feel more like Jesus and Goliath. :) This entry really tears me up and I am thankful for your blog to remind and encourage Neena and I to pray for you guys (interns) as well as Chris and Mary and the kids.

"Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me."
MT 5:11